The largest organ in the body is the liver, an indication of its importance in health and it is involved with almost all of the biochemical pathways that allow growth, fight disease, supply nutrients, provide energy, and aid reproduction. Liver cells, which are called hepatocytes, go through thousands of complex biochemical reactions every second in order to perform these myriad functions and since the liver is involved with almost all biochemical processes it is no wonder that there are many different diseases that will affect it.
Diseases that affect the liver:
Here some of the most common liver diseases and conditions are described.
1) Acute liver failure: this serious condition occurs when a large portion of the liver becomes damaged and cannot function effectively and may result to hepatitis, cirrhosis, alcohol or drug abuse or certain medications
2) Alcoholic liver disease: alcohol affects liver and alcohol abuse can lead to liver problems like fatty liver, hepatitis, and cirrhosis.
3) Cancer of the liver: tumors in the liver may be cancerous or non-cancerous and primary cancers originate in the liver that include hepatocellular carcinoma, cholangiocarcinoma, hepatoblastoma, angiosarcoma, epithelioid hemangioendothelioma, multiple or massive hepatic adenoma and hepatoma, which begins in the liver cells. And also metastatic liver cancers develop when cancer cells from other parts of the body, such as lung cancer or breast cancer, spread to the liver and are dangerous.
4) Cholestatic liver disorders: Cholestasis is a reduction or stoppage of bile flow and it causes can include liver or pancreatic cancer, hepatitis, alcoholic liver disease, and cirrhosis or bile duct stones.
5) Cirrhosis: it refers to a group of chronic liver diseases in which normal liver cells become damaged and are replaced by scar tissue also this decreases the amount of normal liver tissue available, so your liver works less efficiently. And as scar tissue increases, your liver loses its ability to function.
6) Fatty liver: This is not a disease but a description of a liver in which too many fat cells have accumulated and it's the most common in people who are overweight or who have diabetes but however these excess fat cells can cause your liver to become inflamed, and in some cases, to cirrhosis and liver cancer.
7) Hepatitis: There are several forms of hepatitis, which is an inflammation of the liver caused by one of several viruses, toxic agents or autoimmune disorders and if the condition lasts more than six months, it is called chronic hepatitis that is dangerous to health.
Liver Cancer Survival
The Facts About Liver Cancer Survival
Liver cancer or hepatocellular carcinoma is a cancer that arises from the liver. It is can also be called as primary liver cancer or hepatoma. The liver is made up of different types of cells (bile ducts,...
Cleansing and detoxification of liver:
As it is necessary to keep the body clean internally it is necessary that one should take care of cleansing the liver so that the digestive system is regulated properly. Liver flush is a traditional home...
Is it is severe disorder?
If there is a liver pain then it can be an indication of any related disorder to the liver as it is a kind of symptom. One of the basic problems is the expansion of liver as it contains an excessive amount of fat and...
Colon Cancer Liver:
Affects colon and liver together:
Colon is the large intestine and like all other organs of the body, the colon and rectum are made up of many types of cells. If there is an excessive division of cells then it is seen that there is an excessive...
High Liver Enzymes Causes:
Liver is a very important organ of the body. It plays a major role in metabolism and its various functions in the body including drug detoxification, glycogen storage and plasma protein synthesis. Liver also produces bile, which is important for...
Liver cancer prognosis:
What is the survival rate of liver cancer?
The survival rate of liver cancer was too less. According to the survey, 7% of white people survive 5 years for liver cancer in the US 1992-99 and 5% of African American people survive 5 years for...
Liver Cancer Survival Rate:
What is liver cancer?
Liver cancer is a malignant neoplastic disease of the liver usually occurring as a metastasis from another cancer and the symptoms include loss of appetite, weakness, pain in upper right abdomen, fever, jaundice and...
An indication of liver disease:
Hepatic cyst usually refers to solitary non-parasitic cysts of the liver, also known as simple cysts as patients with simple cysts are asymptomatic and require no treatment. Medical term used to describe cyst is...
Remove toxic substances form liver:
Liver is responsible for filtering, detoxifying, nourishing, replenishing, and storing blood and it is necessary for the people to maintain a healthy liver for the best of health. If the gall bladder and...
The liver is the largest internal organ in the human body and is also one of the most important ones. The biliary system consisting of the bile ducts and the gallbladder and also the pancreas are all closely associated with the...
Can it ruin your health?
As liver is the largest organ of our body and it performs most of the digestive functions and hence any harm to it can cause a severe damage to the entire body. It is seen that Liver failure can result from any type of...
Metastatic Liver Cancer:
What are metastases?
Metastases are cancer cells that have spread beyond the original that is primary cancer site and have established themselves at a distant site. These cancer cells spread through the lymph and vascular systems involved with the...
Secondary Liver Cancer:
What is secondary liver cancer?
Secondary liver cancer means the cancer is developed in another part of the body and has spread to the liver and the most common cancers that may spread to the liver are cancers of the stomach, lung, colon and...