The largest organ in the body is the liver, an indication of its importance in health and it is involved with almost all of the biochemical pathways that allow growth, fight disease, supply nutrients, provide energy, and aid reproduction. Liver cells, which are called hepatocytes, go through thousands of complex biochemical reactions every second in order to perform these myriad functions and since the liver is involved with almost all biochemical processes it is no wonder that there are many different diseases that will affect it.
Diseases that affect the liver:
Here some of the most common liver diseases and conditions are described.
1) Acute liver failure: this serious condition occurs when a large portion of the liver becomes damaged and cannot function effectively and may result to hepatitis, cirrhosis, alcohol or drug abuse or certain medications
2) Alcoholic liver disease: alcohol affects liver and alcohol abuse can lead to liver problems like fatty liver, hepatitis, and cirrhosis.
3) Cancer of the liver: tumors in the liver may be cancerous or non-cancerous and primary cancers originate in the liver that include hepatocellular carcinoma, cholangiocarcinoma, hepatoblastoma, angiosarcoma, epithelioid hemangioendothelioma, multiple or massive hepatic adenoma and hepatoma, which begins in the liver cells. And also metastatic liver cancers develop when cancer cells from other parts of the body, such as lung cancer or breast cancer, spread to the liver and are dangerous.
4) Cholestatic liver disorders: Cholestasis is a reduction or stoppage of bile flow and it causes can include liver or pancreatic cancer, hepatitis, alcoholic liver disease, and cirrhosis or bile duct stones.
5) Cirrhosis: it refers to a group of chronic liver diseases in which normal liver cells become damaged and are replaced by scar tissue also this decreases the amount of normal liver tissue available, so your liver works less efficiently. And as scar tissue increases, your liver loses its ability to function.
6) Fatty liver: This is not a disease but a description of a liver in which too many fat cells have accumulated and it's the most common in people who are overweight or who have diabetes but however these excess fat cells can cause your liver to become inflamed, and in some cases, to cirrhosis and liver cancer.
7) Hepatitis: There are several forms of hepatitis, which is an inflammation of the liver caused by one of several viruses, toxic agents or autoimmune disorders and if the condition lasts more than six months, it is called chronic hepatitis that is dangerous to health.
Colon Cancer Liver:
Affects colon and liver together:
Colon is the large intestine and like all other organs of the body, the colon and rectum are made up of many types of cells. If there is an excessive division of cells then it is seen that there is an excessive...
Liver cancer prognosis:
What is the survival rate of liver cancer?
The survival rate of liver cancer was too less. According to the survey, 7% of white people survive 5 years for liver cancer in the US 1992-99 and 5% of African American people survive 5 years for...
Liver Cancer Treatment:
What is liver cancer?
There are two main kinds of liver cancer and they are Heptoma and cholangiocarcinoma where Heptoma is cancer of the hepatocytes that is the main functioning liver cell. Hepatoma is primary liver cancer and usually grows in...
An unusual case:
Hepatomagaly is the medical term for enlargement of the live but this is not a disease but it is an indication of some disease. Liver is one of the most important organs in the body and liver is involved in many bodily...
Fatty Liver -
All That You Need To Know
What Is Fatty Liver?
Fatty liver is a reversible condition seen in chronic alcoholism and other conditions, where large vacuoles of lipid accumulate in hepatocytes that are liver cells. Accumulation of this fat in...
Liver Cancer Symptoms:
Liver cancer happens when cells begin to multiply at a faster rate than they should and the unwanted cells form a growth also there are 2 main types of liver cancer and these are primary cancer which means the cancer started in liver. The second...
What is liver enzyme?
A liver enzyme is a protein that helps to speed up a chemical reaction in the liver and the liver function tests are blood tests that are used to evaluate various functions of the liver for example, metabolism, storage,...
Can it ruin your health?
As liver is the largest organ of our body and it performs most of the digestive functions and hence any harm to it can cause a severe damage to the entire body. It is seen that Liver failure can result from any type of...
The liver is the largest organ in the body and is located in the upper right corner of the abdomen also it plays a variety of important roles in the body. It stores fuel gleaned from sugars, makes needed proteins, and helps remove...
A detailed overview of liver:
If the doctor has to know the internal details of the liver then it is necessary that one undergo this test as it gives n overview of the abdomen. There is a usage of the sound waves and then the diagnosis is...
Metastatic Liver Cancer:
What are metastases?
Metastases are cancer cells that have spread beyond the original that is primary cancer site and have established themselves at a distant site. These cancer cells spread through the lymph and vascular systems involved with the...
Shark Liver Oil:
What is shark liver oil?
Shark liver oil is widely used as it is oil derived from the livers of deep-water sharks that shows some promise in fighting cancer and boosting the immune system. Until a decade ago, when a growing number of supplement...
Terminal Liver Cancer:
The last stage:
When the liver cancer cannot be treated and it reaches a stage of metastatic cancer, which happens when tumors from other parts of the body spread (metastasize) to the liver. As the last stage of cancer has no cure the only...