The largest organ in the body is the liver, an indication of its importance in health and it is involved with almost all of the biochemical pathways that allow growth, fight disease, supply nutrients, provide energy, and aid reproduction. Liver cells, which are called hepatocytes, go through thousands of complex biochemical reactions every second in order to perform these myriad functions and since the liver is involved with almost all biochemical processes it is no wonder that there are many different diseases that will affect it.
Diseases that affect the liver:
Here some of the most common liver diseases and conditions are described.
1) Acute liver failure: this serious condition occurs when a large portion of the liver becomes damaged and cannot function effectively and may result to hepatitis, cirrhosis, alcohol or drug abuse or certain medications
2) Alcoholic liver disease: alcohol affects liver and alcohol abuse can lead to liver problems like fatty liver, hepatitis, and cirrhosis.
3) Cancer of the liver: tumors in the liver may be cancerous or non-cancerous and primary cancers originate in the liver that include hepatocellular carcinoma, cholangiocarcinoma, hepatoblastoma, angiosarcoma, epithelioid hemangioendothelioma, multiple or massive hepatic adenoma and hepatoma, which begins in the liver cells. And also metastatic liver cancers develop when cancer cells from other parts of the body, such as lung cancer or breast cancer, spread to the liver and are dangerous.
4) Cholestatic liver disorders: Cholestasis is a reduction or stoppage of bile flow and it causes can include liver or pancreatic cancer, hepatitis, alcoholic liver disease, and cirrhosis or bile duct stones.
5) Cirrhosis: it refers to a group of chronic liver diseases in which normal liver cells become damaged and are replaced by scar tissue also this decreases the amount of normal liver tissue available, so your liver works less efficiently. And as scar tissue increases, your liver loses its ability to function.
6) Fatty liver: This is not a disease but a description of a liver in which too many fat cells have accumulated and it's the most common in people who are overweight or who have diabetes but however these excess fat cells can cause your liver to become inflamed, and in some cases, to cirrhosis and liver cancer.
7) Hepatitis: There are several forms of hepatitis, which is an inflammation of the liver caused by one of several viruses, toxic agents or autoimmune disorders and if the condition lasts more than six months, it is called chronic hepatitis that is dangerous to health.
Liver Cancer Symptoms:
Liver cancer happens when cells begin to multiply at a faster rate than they should and the unwanted cells form a growth also there are 2 main types of liver cancer and these are primary cancer which means the cancer started in liver. The second...
What is liver enzyme?
A liver enzyme is a protein that helps to speed up a chemical reaction in the liver and the liver function tests are blood tests that are used to evaluate various functions of the liver for example, metabolism, storage,...
A way of liver cure:
If the liver is damaged seriously then it affects the absorption of vitamins and nutrients, prevent waste products from being effectively removed from the system, and reduce the production of proteins needed to clot the...
Alcoholic Liver Disease:
ingestion. The symptoms of alcoholic hepatitis include vague abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, fever, diarrhea, fatigue and malaise. Alcoholic liver disease is the most common liver disease in the United States also it is encountered...
End Stage Liver Disease:
What are the end-stage liver diseases?
End stage liver disease is final stage of total liver failure and it includes liver cancer, cirrhosis, hepatitis, alcoholic liver disease, chronic liver disease,, liver abscess, hemochromatosis, autoimmune...
An unusual case:
Hepatomagaly is the medical term for enlargement of the live but this is not a disease but it is an indication of some disease. Liver is one of the most important organs in the body and liver is involved in many bodily...
Liver Cancer Treatment:
What is liver cancer?
There are two main kinds of liver cancer and they are Heptoma and cholangiocarcinoma where Heptoma is cancer of the hepatocytes that is the main functioning liver cell. Hepatoma is primary liver cancer and usually grows in...
Liver Cleansing Diet:
A diet to detoxify liver:
Detoxification is a process that occurs within our bodies on a continual basis and symptoms such as frequent colds, feeling sluggish and tired, allergies, poor skin, coated tongue, and other foods may indicate...
An indication of liver disease:
Hepatic cyst usually refers to solitary non-parasitic cysts of the liver, also known as simple cysts as patients with simple cysts are asymptomatic and require no treatment. Medical term used to describe cyst is...
Remove toxic substances form liver:
Liver is responsible for filtering, detoxifying, nourishing, replenishing, and storing blood and it is necessary for the people to maintain a healthy liver for the best of health. If the gall bladder and...
The liver is the largest organ in the body and is located in the upper right corner of the abdomen also it plays a variety of important roles in the body. It stores fuel gleaned from sugars, makes needed proteins, and helps remove...
A liver ailment:
This is an ailment of caused as the liver has a great problem when it is not able to bear the harmful rays of the sun. When the skin tries to protect itself then it is seen that there is an overabundance of melanin that is the...
Secondary Liver Cancer:
What is secondary liver cancer?
Secondary liver cancer means the cancer is developed in another part of the body and has spread to the liver and the most common cancers that may spread to the liver are cancers of the stomach, lung, colon and...