What is heart disease?
Coughs and colds are probably diseases that we all can pray for. Why, you ask me. That's because there are some immediate symptoms of these infections.
There may be no symptom for diseases like heart diseases.
There are many ways to define heart disease. It typically is some abnormality with the functioning of the heart. When the normal functioning of the heart is hampered by some internal or external agents, heart disease can occur.
Function of the Heart:
The basic function of the heart is to act like a pump. Impure blood is pumped into the heart and pure blood gets pumped out. Therefore, if one part of this pump is not behaving as per instructions, there may be dire implications.
Different Kinds of Heart Disease:
Though we all think that heart disease is primarily coronary heart diseases, there are many more conditions that can afflict the heart. Coronary heart disease is heart attack. The rest are:
1. Arrhythmia or problem in heart rhythms
2. Congenital heart condition or hole in the heart
3. Valve problem
5. Marfans Syndrome
6. Vascular heart disease
Some of these conditions are present during birth in people and some develop during the person's lifetime. In fact, most heart diseases develop due to the individual's lifestyle.
1. Coronary artery disease is caused when the arteries of the heart are blocked or narrowed due to accumulation of plaque.
2. Congenital heart disease occurs when the heart grows some defect. This could be when the baby is still growing in the foetus or even during adulthood.
3. Valve problem occurs when the valves of the heart stop functioning as per expectation. This may be congenital or can be acquired due to some infection or comprise in immunity.
4. Pericarditis occurs when the lining of the heart gets inflamed due to infection.
5. Marfans syndrome is a genetic condition where the valve's may function inappropriately leading to death too.
6. Vascular heart disease occurs when the arteries of the heart develop a problem.
Physicians across the world feel that taking care of a few things can impact the growth of heart conditions in global population. These are the things you can do to prevent heart conditions:
1. Eat regularly and eat fibrous vegetables.
2. Drink a lot of water.
3. Do aerobic exercise like walking, jogging, swimming, every day for a minimum of 15 minutes.
4. Keep low stress levels by doing meditation or some form of stress-free games or activities.
Arteriosclerotic Heart Disease:
Canine Heart Disease:
Be Your Dogs Best Friend: Heart disease affects an estimated 15% of dogs. Thus making it the second most common cause of death after cancer in Dogs. The common problem is Congestive Heart failure in canines this can lead to death. Heart...
Dog Heart Disease:
over the time during middle age and affecting many older dogs. Both types can end up with the same serious result which a condition is called heart failure. How to avoid hear disease Regular visits to your veterinarian could mean the difference...
Effects of Heart Disease:
flow of your blood to your heart the results can be very serious. Angina occurs when the arteries that supply blood to heart are severely blocked. Although scary, angina does not cause any permanent damage. A heart attack occurs when the arteries...
Feline heart disease:
The feline heart like the human heart is a dual pump. Blood is returned from the cat's circulatory system to its right side of the heart that pumps it through the pulmonary arteries to the lungs for oxygenation. The left side of the heart receives...
Heart disease caused due to smoking
over the world. Cigarette smokers have a very higher risk of developing a number of chronic disorders. They include fatty buildups in arteries, several types of cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Atherosclerosis, buildup of fatty...
Heart disease statistics:
Statistical study: Statistical update provides a quick overview of the latest year's statistics that can be compared to previous year's statistics. The American heart association works with government agencies to draw annual statistics for...
Ischaemic heart disease:
Ischaemic heart disease is a medical term commonly known as Coronary artery disease of the heart. It is a malfunction of the coronary artery caused that supply less or no blood to the heart. Coronary artery disease or ischaemic heart disease is one...
Obesity and heart disease
Obesity is an alarmingly growing problem in the developed world. Sometimes it makes one sit up and wonder, "Is this the price we pay for development". By definition, obesity means simply being overweight. However, the interpretation of this is...
Red wine heart disease:
Well apart from the knowledge that wine appeals to the heart, medical evidence and research suggests that consumption of red wine in moderate levels can reduce chances of heart ailments. Shall we raise a Toast then... Well, definitely, but lets...
Valvular Heart Disease:
normal conditions, the heart valves let blood to flow in only one direction. The four heart valves are: 1. Tricuspid valve, located between the right atrium and right ventricle; 2. Pulmonary valve, between the right ventricle and the pulmonary...
|© heart-disease.com 2006|