Sinus Headache Treatment -
Sinus headaches occur when the air-filled, bony cavities connecting to the nose get blocked due to excess mucous and get infected and congested.
Treatment for sinus headaches -
Treatment involves reducing the swelling in the sinuses region, the inflammation and the pain, and improving the drainage system in the nasal area. Some of the treatment methods that can be adopted are -
1. It is essential to breathe humidified air. The dry air environment can be humidified using any one of these - A steam vaporizer, cool-mist humidifier, steam from a basin of hot water or steam from hot shower water.
2. A hot compress has to be placed on the affected area, across the sinuses region for three minutes and a cold compress for around thirty seconds. This process has to be repeated thrice and has to be taken 2 to 6 times in a day.
3. Nasal Irrigation is done to cleanse the sinuses and other affected areas of mucous, pollutants, bacteria, virus, dirt and irritants to reduce the swelling, inflammation and the pain and improves the drainage in the nasal passage. Many nasal rinse products are available over the counters of drug stores, however, physician, preferably an ENT specialist has to be consulted to determine which would be the best for a person and how to use it.
4. Medications like the pain relievers containing aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, naproxen or a combination of any of these are available on the counters of the drug stores. One has to be careful enough is choosing the best pain reliever that suits him / her.
5. Decongestants and Antihistamines can be used to fight the allergens causing the sinus headaches. In some severe cases, nasal steroid sprays are used for the treatment.
6. In China, Magnolia flower is used in clearing the stuffed sinus and nasal regions. Other herbs like angelica, mint, chrysanthemum are also used to treat the infections in the respiratory tract, especially the upper part of the tract.
7. If the condition gets worse, it is advisable to consult an ENT (ear, nose, throat) specialist and have a CT scan made. If it is chronic sinusitis, allergy testing and desensitization is done to treat it. If it is acute sinusitis, antibiotics and decongestants are used or in extreme cases endoscopic or image guided surgery is done.
Acupressure - A Headache Healer
There must have a time when you had a headache and your friend pressed a spot on your hand which somehow made this headache go away. So did that work? What your friend was using is a very old (about 5,000 years) and widely practiced form of body...
American headache society
The American Headache Society (AHS) is an expert society of health care providers dedicated to the study and treatment of headache and face pain. American Headache Society brings together physicians and other fitness providers from various fields...
Is your child suffering from child headache?
time a headache may not be serious just like a tension headache that an adult might get while fighting traffic. Chances are that this is not a life threatening condition, and that over the long term it will not have a significant impact on the...
The normal headaches are often referred by the people as tension headaches or stress headaches. Basically, the medical term for these kinds of headaches is tension-type headaches. These kinds of headaches are different to migraine headaches, which...
Daily headaches are also known as muscle contraction or chronic daily headache, this is the most universal variety of headache. The majority people will have suffered from tension headaches at some point in their lives and never seek medical...
The over-the-counter and prescription medications that are used to treat migraine pain fall into two general categories: those for use during an attack and those that help prevent attacks. A sufferer may need to take different medications to address...
Usually, the first medications recommended by doctors to treat headache pain are pain relievers. Many of these medications are available over-the-counter, without a doctor's prescription. Other medications require a prescription. When taking these...
A clinical trial is a research study that is designed to answer a specific scientific question. Clinical trials are used to answer questions about new therapies, drugs, or new ways of using known treatments. Trials are conducted to determine whether...
An Overview Of Menstrual Headache
affect 70 percent of these women. A menstrual headache occurs either before, during or immediately after periods, or during ovulation. While, serotonin is the primary hormonal trigger of a headache, some researchers believe that migraine is an...
Migraine headache relief
Headaches are an ordinary cause of suffering, but all headaches are not created equal. The major challenge to affording relief from various forms of cephalgia, or head pain, is categorizing a headache by type, and then proceeding with the therapy...
|© headache-type.tdrbizl.com 2006|