First Aid for Electrical Shock


Children, love sticking their little fingers anywhere and everywhere, especially into plug points and sockets. The human body is a very good conductor of electricity, and contact with a live power source can cause significant burns, or may interfere with the heart's electrical system. The human body conducts electricity, if any part of the body receives an electric shock, the electricity will flow through the tissues without any obstruction depending on the length and severity of the shock.
Everyone has received minor electric shocks sometime or the other, which are not a cause for concern. But once in a while, a lose wire or a faulty household appliance can be very dangerous. Most of the fatal electric shocks happen at home.

Symptoms

The danger from an electrical shock depends on how high the voltage is, how the current traveled through the tissues of the body, the person's overall health, and how quickly the person is treated.
One should take measures in case any of the following happen:
1) Cardiac arrest
2) Heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias)
3) Respiratory failure
4) Muscle pain and contractions
5) Seizures
6) Numbness and tingling
7) Unconsciousness

The Do's and the Don't's

While waiting for medical help one should look first and should not touch. The person may still be in contact with the electrical source. Touching the person may pass the current through you. You should try to turn off the source of electricity if possible. If not, then try to move the source away from you and the affected person, using a non-conducting object made of cardboard, plastic or wood. Then check for signs of circulation (breathing, coughing or movement). If it's absent, begin cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) immediately. Lay the person down and, if possible, position the head slightly lower than the trunk, with the legs elevated. There are certain things one needs to be careful about like don't touch the person with your bare hands if he or she is still in contact with the electrical current, don't go near high-voltage wires until the power is turned off. Stay at least 20 feet away and much farther if wires are jumping and sparking. Don't move a person from an electrical injury unless the person is in immediate danger.

Basic First Aid: Right Aid at the right time can save a life.
Life is full of uncertainties. Accidents happen uninvited. Providing the right aid at the right time can save the victim. What is most important is to give the correct response. Every person should always be prepared to face all such incidents. The...

First aid class
The HCC Health and Safety Committee strongly recommend that every program area have at least two persons trained in CPR and First Aid. CPR and First Aid training for faculty and staff are held in early summer when the nurse is available to run...

First aid for cuts:
If an injury has excessive bleeding or pain, see a physician immediately. If you have minor cuts and scrapes you should firstly wash up the place where you have got cut. After washing it wash your hands with soap and water. Always recommend wearing...

First Aid
© first-aid.tdrbizl.com 2006