Bulimia eating disorders:
1. Poor body image
4. Major life events or stresses
5. A genetic predisposition
1. Bulimics often are of normal weight or overweight because they eat a lot.
2. Reuses Company while eating alone and the time period after eating, to allow for purging.
3. Eating unusually large amounts of food with no apparent change in weight.
4. Frequent trips to the bathroom after meals, signs and/or smells of vomiting, evidence of laxatives or diuretics.
5. Excessive, rigid exercise regimen.
6. Preoccupation with body weight, weight loss, dieting, and control of food.
7. A poor Body Image.
9. Severe self-criticism.
11. Discolored or callused finger joints-inserting fingers down the throat to induce vomiting can damage the outer surfaces of the hand.
12. Constipation and diarrhea.
13. Mouth Ulcers
Types of Bulimia:
The two types of bulimia are classified by how the person reacts after the binge eating.
The Purging type of bulimia is when after binge-eating person induces vomiting or uses a diuretic, laxative, or enema to purge food from the body.
The Nonpurging type of bulimia is when the person does not induce vomiting, but instead fasts or engages in excessive exercise to use up calories.
Complications of Starving:
If not stopped, starving can lead to irreversible physical damage and even death. Medical problems, which can arise, are listed below:
1. Irregular heartbeat, cardiac arrest, death
2. Kidney damage, renal failure, death
3. Liver damage
4. Loss of muscle mass. Broomstick arms and legs.
5. Permanent loss of bone mass. Fractures, Osteoporosis, and hump.
6. Low immunity.
7. Anemia, malnutrition. Disruption of body's fluid/mineral balance.
8. Fainting spells, sleep disruption, bad dreams, and mental fuzziness.
Fortunately, treatment is available for eating disorders. The most common element surrounding Eating Disorders is the inherent presence of a low self-esteem. Thus treatment consists of Counseling, treating physical problem, Psychotherapy. The goal of mental health treatment is to provide a support system and end the isolation and shame commonly felt by patients
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
1. It involves changing responses to stressful situations, and learning to cope with situation rather than use food as a first resort.
2. Helps in changing self-perception about body shape and weight.
1. Focuses on improving relationships with family and friends
Family therapy: Involves family and teaches to cope with situation.
Anti-depressants: Drugs to help alleviate sadness and despair.
Self-help groups: People suffering from same problems come together and help to overcome the problem by sharing
Bulimia eating disorders:
Athlete and Eating Disorder
disorders continue to be on the rise among athletes, especially those involved in sports that place great emphasis on to be thin and lean. Sports such as gymnastics, figure skating, dancing and synchronized swimming have a higher percentage of...
Binge Eating Disorders
People suffering from Binge Eating Disorder have a combination of symptom that is sufferer periodically goes on large binges, consuming an unusually large quantity of food in a short period of time (within 2 hours) eating until they are...
Bulimia eating disorders:
Bulimia is a serious, potentially life-threatening eating disorder characterized by overeating within a short period of time and then purging to get rid of the calories consumed. Men and women who live with Bulimia bring about binge and purge...
Eating Disorders Treatment- Finding Ways of Healthy Eating!
A person can remain happy, contented and can lead a normal life only when his basic needs are satisfied. Food is, of course, a basic requirement. But when food itself becomes a problem factor for an individual then it can have adverse effects on the...
Eating Disorders- Its all about Healthy Eating!
A well balanced diet and good food habits is the secret of the well being of an individual. A healthy and happy life depends largely on what you eat and the food habits that you follow. However the modern lifestyle and brought with it some...
Facts about eating disorder:
An eating disorder is a compulsion in which the main problem is a person eats in a way which disturbs their physical health. The eating may be too excessive (compulsive over-eating), too limited (restricting), may include normal eating punctuated...
Help for Eating disorder:
Eating disorders hampers body's normal functioning causes long-term health problems. Eating disorders involve disturbances in eating, such as: 1) Not eating enough, starving or limiting calories to very low level. 2) Eating low Calorie food at...
Male Eating Disorders -
Types of Eating Disorders - Usually men suffer from Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa; however there are also cases of Binge Eating Disorder among men who describe themselves as compulsive eaters. Facts and Figures - In today's...
Statistics on Eating Disorders
many people. Although exact figures may not be available for such findings, statistical records that are gradually gaining ground have pointed out the major factors that result in eating disorders across the world. Men with eating disorders ...
Treating oily skin:
Importance of skin: The skin is the major limb of our body and up till now most of us do not do an adequate amount of to keep up our skin's health. One of the functions of our skin is to get rid of a segment of the body's waste products all the...
|© Eating-Disorders.Tdrbizl.Com 2006|