Bulimia eating disorders:
1. Poor body image
4. Major life events or stresses
5. A genetic predisposition
1. Bulimics often are of normal weight or overweight because they eat a lot.
2. Reuses Company while eating alone and the time period after eating, to allow for purging.
3. Eating unusually large amounts of food with no apparent change in weight.
4. Frequent trips to the bathroom after meals, signs and/or smells of vomiting, evidence of laxatives or diuretics.
5. Excessive, rigid exercise regimen.
6. Preoccupation with body weight, weight loss, dieting, and control of food.
7. A poor Body Image.
9. Severe self-criticism.
11. Discolored or callused finger joints-inserting fingers down the throat to induce vomiting can damage the outer surfaces of the hand.
12. Constipation and diarrhea.
13. Mouth Ulcers
Types of Bulimia:
The two types of bulimia are classified by how the person reacts after the binge eating.
The Purging type of bulimia is when after binge-eating person induces vomiting or uses a diuretic, laxative, or enema to purge food from the body.
The Nonpurging type of bulimia is when the person does not induce vomiting, but instead fasts or engages in excessive exercise to use up calories.
Complications of Starving:
If not stopped, starving can lead to irreversible physical damage and even death. Medical problems, which can arise, are listed below:
1. Irregular heartbeat, cardiac arrest, death
2. Kidney damage, renal failure, death
3. Liver damage
4. Loss of muscle mass. Broomstick arms and legs.
5. Permanent loss of bone mass. Fractures, Osteoporosis, and hump.
6. Low immunity.
7. Anemia, malnutrition. Disruption of body's fluid/mineral balance.
8. Fainting spells, sleep disruption, bad dreams, and mental fuzziness.
Fortunately, treatment is available for eating disorders. The most common element surrounding Eating Disorders is the inherent presence of a low self-esteem. Thus treatment consists of Counseling, treating physical problem, Psychotherapy. The goal of mental health treatment is to provide a support system and end the isolation and shame commonly felt by patients
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
1. It involves changing responses to stressful situations, and learning to cope with situation rather than use food as a first resort.
2. Helps in changing self-perception about body shape and weight.
1. Focuses on improving relationships with family and friends
Family therapy: Involves family and teaches to cope with situation.
Anti-depressants: Drugs to help alleviate sadness and despair.
Self-help groups: People suffering from same problems come together and help to overcome the problem by sharing
Celebrities with Eating Disorders
Causes of Eating Disorders:
are psychological while some could be biological. An eating disorder is more often due to a conscious obsessiveness with food or against it. Biological and Psychological causes of eating disorders Biological factors like temperament, anxiety and...
Eating Disorders in elderly -
Overview Both Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa can occur in the elderly people. Most of the cases show a similarity in the features of the disorder suffered by the elderly and the young people. These features include clinical features,...
Eating Disorders- Its all about Healthy Eating!
A well balanced diet and good food habits is the secret of the well being of an individual. A healthy and happy life depends largely on what you eat and the food habits that you follow. However the modern lifestyle and brought with it some...
Facts about eating disorder:
An eating disorder is a compulsion in which the main problem is a person eats in a way which disturbs their physical health. The eating may be too excessive (compulsive over-eating), too limited (restricting), may include normal eating punctuated...
Help for Eating disorder:
Eating disorders hampers body's normal functioning causes long-term health problems. Eating disorders involve disturbances in eating, such as: 1) Not eating enough, starving or limiting calories to very low level. 2) Eating low Calorie food at...
Laxitives Eating Disorders - Laxitive Lessoning
For a healthy life the basic thing that an individual must do is have a healthy lifestyle. It is imperative that individuals eat healthy, exercise regularly and follow a healthy routine in life. Eating habits are the key that determine the health of...
Pro Eating Disorders -
What does it mean? The term stands for the concept of welcoming the very idea of suffering from an eating disorder. Of late, a trend of encouraging eating disorders among the population has started. People actually want to suffer from the...
Statistics on Eating Disorders
many people. Although exact figures may not be available for such findings, statistical records that are gradually gaining ground have pointed out the major factors that result in eating disorders across the world. Men with eating disorders ...
Teen Eating Disorders:
they subject themselves to torture by overeating or by not eating at all. With the aim of losing weight at all costs, teenagers cope with eating disorders even to the extent of starving themselves to death. Teen Eating Disorders - starvation ...
Types of Eating Disorders -
Basics of an Eating Disorder - Individuals suffering from an Eating Disorder adopt harmful eating habits which disturb their physical health. It is a syndrome, an illness, usually occurring in teenage girls and women, but can be found in men...
|© Eating-Disorders.Tdrbizl.Com 2006|