Binge Eating Disorders
Causes of Binge eating Disorder:
1. Depression: Up to half of all people with binge eating disorder have a history of depression;
2. Dieting: Chronic dieting may lead to bad eating habits.
3. Coping skills: Many report that anger; sad ness, boredom, worry, or stress leads to trigger a binge episode.
4. Biological: Research indicates metabolism and hormones or enzymes may cause binge attack
1. Recurrent attacks of binge eating- eating in a short period of time a huge amount of food or a serving, which normally people will not consume.
2. Lack of control -Feeling that one does not have control over eating.
3. Distressed after binge attack.
4. Attacks of binge eating often occur twice at least every week.
5. Eats very rapidly while eating.
6. Eating alone is embarrassed of huge diet.
7. Feeling guilty after binge attack.
8. No compensatory behavior (such as vomiting, laxative abuse, or excessive exercise) after bingeing.
A person suffering from Binge Eating Disorder is at Health risk for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart attack, stroke, kidney disorder, and arthritis and bone deterioration.
1) Depression leading to self-harm or suicide.
2) Feeling of helplessness.
4) Guilt or shame
5) Feeling of alienation or loneliness
6) Absenteeism at work and school;
7) Preoccupation with appearance
8) Strain on relationships with family and friends
9) Low self esteem
10) Low energy
11) Avoidance of social gatherings
Treatment: Treatment options for binge eating disorder include Psychotherapy, Counseling, and Medicine.
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
1) It involves changing responses to stressful situations, and learning to cope with situation rather than use food as a first resort.
2) Helps in changing self-perception about body shape and weight.
1. Focuses on improving relationships with family and friends
Anti-depressants: Drugs to help alleviate sadness and despair,
Self-help groups: People suffering from same problems come together and help to overcome the problem by sharing experiences.
Eating Disorders in Children- A major Concern.
Causes of Eating Disorders:
are psychological while some could be biological. An eating disorder is more often due to a conscious obsessiveness with food or against it. Biological and Psychological causes of eating disorders Biological factors like temperament, anxiety and...
Celebrities with Eating Disorders
An eating disorder is not the bane of common people. It affects celebrities too. Recent surveys and reviews have celebrities talking about how once upon a time before they became celebrities, they faced eating disorders in their lives, and how they...
Eating Disorders in elderly -
Overview Both Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa can occur in the elderly people. Most of the cases show a similarity in the features of the disorder suffered by the elderly and the young people. These features include clinical features,...
Eating Disorders Treatment- Finding Ways of Healthy Eating!
A person can remain happy, contented and can lead a normal life only when his basic needs are satisfied. Food is, of course, a basic requirement. But when food itself becomes a problem factor for an individual then it can have adverse effects on the...
Eating Disorders- Its all about Healthy Eating!
A well balanced diet and good food habits is the secret of the well being of an individual. A healthy and happy life depends largely on what you eat and the food habits that you follow. However the modern lifestyle and brought with it some...
Gymnastics eating disorders:
Eating disorders are found in all sports; sports that emphasize leanness for performance and appearance are at a significantly greater risk. Hence, gymnasts, long-distance runners, divers, and figure skaters are more prone to developing eating...
Laxitives Eating Disorders - Laxitive Lessoning
For a healthy life the basic thing that an individual must do is have a healthy lifestyle. It is imperative that individuals eat healthy, exercise regularly and follow a healthy routine in life. Eating habits are the key that determine the health of...
Male Eating Disorders -
Types of Eating Disorders - Usually men suffer from Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa; however there are also cases of Binge Eating Disorder among men who describe themselves as compulsive eaters. Facts and Figures - In today's...
Statistics on Eating Disorders
many people. Although exact figures may not be available for such findings, statistical records that are gradually gaining ground have pointed out the major factors that result in eating disorders across the world. Men with eating disorders ...
Types of Eating Disorders -
Basics of an Eating Disorder - Individuals suffering from an Eating Disorder adopt harmful eating habits which disturb their physical health. It is a syndrome, an illness, usually occurring in teenage girls and women, but can be found in men...
|© Eating-Disorders.Tdrbizl.Com 2006|