Athlete and Eating Disorder
Causes of eating disorders among athletes
1) The idealization of thinness in our society: Judges rewarded thinner athletes
2) The belief that lower body fat enhances performance
3) Body Dissatisfaction: Athletes at risk for eating disorders are often those who are critical of their own athletic performance and who express these concerns by dissatisfaction with their bodies
5) Body Building
Male and female athletes: different risk factors:
Males also develop eating disorders but at a much reduced incidence (approximately 90% female; 10% male). The female athlete is subject to the constant social pressure to be thin as she is in sports milieu that may overvalue performance, low body fat, and an idealized, unrealistic body shape, size, and weight. Many sports demand low percentages of body fat. In general, men have more lean muscle tissue and less fatty tissue. Males also have higher metabolic rates than females thus women put on weight easily.
Complications of Eating Disorders in Athletes
1. Eating disorders may result in symptoms, which can lower performance.
2. Fatigue, weakness, lightheadedness, broken bones, leg cramps, and irregular heart rate are common.
3. Low thyroid hormones, poor heart and circulatory function, osteoporosis, and electrolyte imbalance can also occur.
4. Irregular menses or absence of Menses in female athlete can lead to osteoporosis and infertility problems.
1. Psychological counseling addresses the eating disordered symptoms the underlying psychological, interpersonal, and cultural factors.
2. Nutritional counseling is also necessary as athletes have special nutritional need.
3. Family therapy
4. Gynecological treatment for amenorrohoea (lack of Menses).
5. Medical treatment for hormonal and other physical problems.
Eating Disorders- Its all about Healthy Eating!
ADHD Treatment: Treating the ADHD Troubles
One of the most important and probably the most difficult diseases to treat are diseases which affect the brain. Neurological diseases can be very tricky to cure. Thus treating ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorders can be a challenging...
Athlete and Eating Disorder
disorders continue to be on the rise among athletes, especially those involved in sports that place great emphasis on to be thin and lean. Sports such as gymnastics, figure skating, dancing and synchronized swimming have a higher percentage of...
Bulimia eating disorders:
Bulimia is a serious, potentially life-threatening eating disorder characterized by overeating within a short period of time and then purging to get rid of the calories consumed. Men and women who live with Bulimia bring about binge and purge...
Eating disorders in ballet dancers:
many are aware of the lengths to which these dancers go to in order to keep themselves looking that way. Eating disorders and body weight: Ballet dancers are constant weight watchers. They can get quite panicky if they put on even a bit more...
Effects of Eating Disorders- Eating Disorders and its Impending dangers.
Eating Disorders have become a grave phenomenon in modern times. With the lifestyles changing drastically, eating disorders is a matter of serious concern. It can have life-threatening consequences on an individual's life. Eating Disorders: ...
Facts about eating disorder:
An eating disorder is a compulsion in which the main problem is a person eats in a way which disturbs their physical health. The eating may be too excessive (compulsive over-eating), too limited (restricting), may include normal eating punctuated...
Male Eating Disorders -
Types of Eating Disorders - Usually men suffer from Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa; however there are also cases of Binge Eating Disorder among men who describe themselves as compulsive eaters. Facts and Figures - In today's...
Statistics on Eating Disorders
many people. Although exact figures may not be available for such findings, statistical records that are gradually gaining ground have pointed out the major factors that result in eating disorders across the world. Men with eating disorders ...
Oily Skin Treatment:
becoming too irritated or too dried during treatments Benzoyl Peroxide: It is commonly used to treat oily skin and acne. It acts in following ways: 1) It kills bacteria, which are the rot cause for the development of acne. Bacteria causes, the...
What Oily Skin Treatments are available?..... For a glowing and ravishing complexion
Over secretion of sebaceous glands are responsible for oily skin. This results in large pores, greasy appearance and pimples. There is no way to cure oily skin; you can take preventive measures to keep the oily skin in control. This skin type is...
|© Eating-Disorders.Tdrbizl.Com 2006|