Athlete and Eating Disorder
Causes of eating disorders among athletes
1) The idealization of thinness in our society: Judges rewarded thinner athletes
2) The belief that lower body fat enhances performance
3) Body Dissatisfaction: Athletes at risk for eating disorders are often those who are critical of their own athletic performance and who express these concerns by dissatisfaction with their bodies
5) Body Building
Male and female athletes: different risk factors:
Males also develop eating disorders but at a much reduced incidence (approximately 90% female; 10% male). The female athlete is subject to the constant social pressure to be thin as she is in sports milieu that may overvalue performance, low body fat, and an idealized, unrealistic body shape, size, and weight. Many sports demand low percentages of body fat. In general, men have more lean muscle tissue and less fatty tissue. Males also have higher metabolic rates than females thus women put on weight easily.
Complications of Eating Disorders in Athletes
1. Eating disorders may result in symptoms, which can lower performance.
2. Fatigue, weakness, lightheadedness, broken bones, leg cramps, and irregular heart rate are common.
3. Low thyroid hormones, poor heart and circulatory function, osteoporosis, and electrolyte imbalance can also occur.
4. Irregular menses or absence of Menses in female athlete can lead to osteoporosis and infertility problems.
1. Psychological counseling addresses the eating disordered symptoms the underlying psychological, interpersonal, and cultural factors.
2. Nutritional counseling is also necessary as athletes have special nutritional need.
3. Family therapy
4. Gynecological treatment for amenorrohoea (lack of Menses).
5. Medical treatment for hormonal and other physical problems.
Athlete and Eating Disorder
Eating Disorders in Children- A major Concern.
Eating disorders can have dire results for any individual. If a child suffers from eating disorders then it can ruin the entire life of the child. A child must follow proper eating habits and if he is found to have eating disorders then it must be...
Eating Disorders in elderly -
Overview Both Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa can occur in the elderly people. Most of the cases show a similarity in the features of the disorder suffered by the elderly and the young people. These features include clinical features,...
Eating Disorders Treatment- Finding Ways of Healthy Eating!
A person can remain happy, contented and can lead a normal life only when his basic needs are satisfied. Food is, of course, a basic requirement. But when food itself becomes a problem factor for an individual then it can have adverse effects on the...
Gymnastics eating disorders:
Eating disorders are found in all sports; sports that emphasize leanness for performance and appearance are at a significantly greater risk. Hence, gymnasts, long-distance runners, divers, and figure skaters are more prone to developing eating...
Help for Eating disorder:
Eating disorders hampers body's normal functioning causes long-term health problems. Eating disorders involve disturbances in eating, such as: 1) Not eating enough, starving or limiting calories to very low level. 2) Eating low Calorie food at...
History of Eating Disorders -
An overview of Eating Disorder - What is it? A condition involving serious problem behaviors regarding food is called an 'Eating Disorder', leading to adoption of harmful food habits. It may be of any type - under-eating, over-eating,...
Male Eating Disorders -
Types of Eating Disorders - Usually men suffer from Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa; however there are also cases of Binge Eating Disorder among men who describe themselves as compulsive eaters. Facts and Figures - In today's...
Societal pressures eating disorders
Man is a social animal. Every person has three facets to his perosna, one that he knows about himself, another is what others know about him, and the third is what he wants others to know about him. The last said, is the cause of all kinds societal...
Types of Eating Disorders -
Basics of an Eating Disorder - Individuals suffering from an Eating Disorder adopt harmful eating habits which disturb their physical health. It is a syndrome, an illness, usually occurring in teenage girls and women, but can be found in men...
Oily Skin Treatment:
becoming too irritated or too dried during treatments Benzoyl Peroxide: It is commonly used to treat oily skin and acne. It acts in following ways: 1) It kills bacteria, which are the rot cause for the development of acne. Bacteria causes, the...
|© Eating-Disorders.Tdrbizl.Com 2006|