Athlete and Eating Disorder
Causes of eating disorders among athletes
1) The idealization of thinness in our society: Judges rewarded thinner athletes
2) The belief that lower body fat enhances performance
3) Body Dissatisfaction: Athletes at risk for eating disorders are often those who are critical of their own athletic performance and who express these concerns by dissatisfaction with their bodies
5) Body Building
Male and female athletes: different risk factors:
Males also develop eating disorders but at a much reduced incidence (approximately 90% female; 10% male). The female athlete is subject to the constant social pressure to be thin as she is in sports milieu that may overvalue performance, low body fat, and an idealized, unrealistic body shape, size, and weight. Many sports demand low percentages of body fat. In general, men have more lean muscle tissue and less fatty tissue. Males also have higher metabolic rates than females thus women put on weight easily.
Complications of Eating Disorders in Athletes
1. Eating disorders may result in symptoms, which can lower performance.
2. Fatigue, weakness, lightheadedness, broken bones, leg cramps, and irregular heart rate are common.
3. Low thyroid hormones, poor heart and circulatory function, osteoporosis, and electrolyte imbalance can also occur.
4. Irregular menses or absence of Menses in female athlete can lead to osteoporosis and infertility problems.
1. Psychological counseling addresses the eating disordered symptoms the underlying psychological, interpersonal, and cultural factors.
2. Nutritional counseling is also necessary as athletes have special nutritional need.
3. Family therapy
4. Gynecological treatment for amenorrohoea (lack of Menses).
5. Medical treatment for hormonal and other physical problems.
ADHD Treatment: Treating the ADHD Troubles
Athlete and Eating Disorder
disorders continue to be on the rise among athletes, especially those involved in sports that place great emphasis on to be thin and lean. Sports such as gymnastics, figure skating, dancing and synchronized swimming have a higher percentage of...
Binge Eating Disorders
People suffering from Binge Eating Disorder have a combination of symptom that is sufferer periodically goes on large binges, consuming an unusually large quantity of food in a short period of time (within 2 hours) eating until they are...
Bulimia eating disorders:
Bulimia is a serious, potentially life-threatening eating disorder characterized by overeating within a short period of time and then purging to get rid of the calories consumed. Men and women who live with Bulimia bring about binge and purge...
Celebrities with Eating Disorders
An eating disorder is not the bane of common people. It affects celebrities too. Recent surveys and reviews have celebrities talking about how once upon a time before they became celebrities, they faced eating disorders in their lives, and how they...
Eating disorders in ballet dancers:
many are aware of the lengths to which these dancers go to in order to keep themselves looking that way. Eating disorders and body weight: Ballet dancers are constant weight watchers. They can get quite panicky if they put on even a bit more...
Eating Disorders Treatment- Finding Ways of Healthy Eating!
A person can remain happy, contented and can lead a normal life only when his basic needs are satisfied. Food is, of course, a basic requirement. But when food itself becomes a problem factor for an individual then it can have adverse effects on the...
Gymnastics eating disorders:
Eating disorders are found in all sports; sports that emphasize leanness for performance and appearance are at a significantly greater risk. Hence, gymnasts, long-distance runners, divers, and figure skaters are more prone to developing eating...
Laxitives Eating Disorders - Laxitive Lessoning
For a healthy life the basic thing that an individual must do is have a healthy lifestyle. It is imperative that individuals eat healthy, exercise regularly and follow a healthy routine in life. Eating habits are the key that determine the health of...
Pro Eating Disorders -
What does it mean? The term stands for the concept of welcoming the very idea of suffering from an eating disorder. Of late, a trend of encouraging eating disorders among the population has started. People actually want to suffer from the...
Oily Skin Treatment:
becoming too irritated or too dried during treatments Benzoyl Peroxide: It is commonly used to treat oily skin and acne. It acts in following ways: 1) It kills bacteria, which are the rot cause for the development of acne. Bacteria causes, the...
|© Eating-Disorders.Tdrbizl.Com 2006|