Athlete and Eating Disorder
Causes of eating disorders among athletes
1) The idealization of thinness in our society: Judges rewarded thinner athletes
2) The belief that lower body fat enhances performance
3) Body Dissatisfaction: Athletes at risk for eating disorders are often those who are critical of their own athletic performance and who express these concerns by dissatisfaction with their bodies
5) Body Building
Male and female athletes: different risk factors:
Males also develop eating disorders but at a much reduced incidence (approximately 90% female; 10% male). The female athlete is subject to the constant social pressure to be thin as she is in sports milieu that may overvalue performance, low body fat, and an idealized, unrealistic body shape, size, and weight. Many sports demand low percentages of body fat. In general, men have more lean muscle tissue and less fatty tissue. Males also have higher metabolic rates than females thus women put on weight easily.
Complications of Eating Disorders in Athletes
1. Eating disorders may result in symptoms, which can lower performance.
2. Fatigue, weakness, lightheadedness, broken bones, leg cramps, and irregular heart rate are common.
3. Low thyroid hormones, poor heart and circulatory function, osteoporosis, and electrolyte imbalance can also occur.
4. Irregular menses or absence of Menses in female athlete can lead to osteoporosis and infertility problems.
1. Psychological counseling addresses the eating disordered symptoms the underlying psychological, interpersonal, and cultural factors.
2. Nutritional counseling is also necessary as athletes have special nutritional need.
3. Family therapy
4. Gynecological treatment for amenorrohoea (lack of Menses).
5. Medical treatment for hormonal and other physical problems.
Binge Eating Disorders
ADHD Treatment: Treating the ADHD Troubles
One of the most important and probably the most difficult diseases to treat are diseases which affect the brain. Neurological diseases can be very tricky to cure. Thus treating ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorders can be a challenging...
Bulimia eating disorders:
Bulimia is a serious, potentially life-threatening eating disorder characterized by overeating within a short period of time and then purging to get rid of the calories consumed. Men and women who live with Bulimia bring about binge and purge...
Celebrities with Eating Disorders
An eating disorder is not the bane of common people. It affects celebrities too. Recent surveys and reviews have celebrities talking about how once upon a time before they became celebrities, they faced eating disorders in their lives, and how they...
Eating disorders in ballet dancers:
many are aware of the lengths to which these dancers go to in order to keep themselves looking that way. Eating disorders and body weight: Ballet dancers are constant weight watchers. They can get quite panicky if they put on even a bit more...
Eating Disorders in elderly -
Overview Both Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa can occur in the elderly people. Most of the cases show a similarity in the features of the disorder suffered by the elderly and the young people. These features include clinical features,...
Effects of Eating Disorders- Eating Disorders and its Impending dangers.
Eating Disorders have become a grave phenomenon in modern times. With the lifestyles changing drastically, eating disorders is a matter of serious concern. It can have life-threatening consequences on an individual's life. Eating Disorders: ...
Facts about eating disorder:
An eating disorder is a compulsion in which the main problem is a person eats in a way which disturbs their physical health. The eating may be too excessive (compulsive over-eating), too limited (restricting), may include normal eating punctuated...
Help for Eating disorder:
Eating disorders hampers body's normal functioning causes long-term health problems. Eating disorders involve disturbances in eating, such as: 1) Not eating enough, starving or limiting calories to very low level. 2) Eating low Calorie food at...
History of Eating Disorders -
An overview of Eating Disorder - What is it? A condition involving serious problem behaviors regarding food is called an 'Eating Disorder', leading to adoption of harmful food habits. It may be of any type - under-eating, over-eating,...
Laxitives Eating Disorders - Laxitive Lessoning
For a healthy life the basic thing that an individual must do is have a healthy lifestyle. It is imperative that individuals eat healthy, exercise regularly and follow a healthy routine in life. Eating habits are the key that determine the health of...
|© Eating-Disorders.Tdrbizl.Com 2006|