Athlete and Eating Disorder
Causes of eating disorders among athletes
1) The idealization of thinness in our society: Judges rewarded thinner athletes
2) The belief that lower body fat enhances performance
3) Body Dissatisfaction: Athletes at risk for eating disorders are often those who are critical of their own athletic performance and who express these concerns by dissatisfaction with their bodies
5) Body Building
Male and female athletes: different risk factors:
Males also develop eating disorders but at a much reduced incidence (approximately 90% female; 10% male). The female athlete is subject to the constant social pressure to be thin as she is in sports milieu that may overvalue performance, low body fat, and an idealized, unrealistic body shape, size, and weight. Many sports demand low percentages of body fat. In general, men have more lean muscle tissue and less fatty tissue. Males also have higher metabolic rates than females thus women put on weight easily.
Complications of Eating Disorders in Athletes
1. Eating disorders may result in symptoms, which can lower performance.
2. Fatigue, weakness, lightheadedness, broken bones, leg cramps, and irregular heart rate are common.
3. Low thyroid hormones, poor heart and circulatory function, osteoporosis, and electrolyte imbalance can also occur.
4. Irregular menses or absence of Menses in female athlete can lead to osteoporosis and infertility problems.
1. Psychological counseling addresses the eating disordered symptoms the underlying psychological, interpersonal, and cultural factors.
2. Nutritional counseling is also necessary as athletes have special nutritional need.
3. Family therapy
4. Gynecological treatment for amenorrohoea (lack of Menses).
5. Medical treatment for hormonal and other physical problems.
Bulimia eating disorders:
Athlete and Eating Disorder
disorders continue to be on the rise among athletes, especially those involved in sports that place great emphasis on to be thin and lean. Sports such as gymnastics, figure skating, dancing and synchronized swimming have a higher percentage of...
Celebrities with Eating Disorders
An eating disorder is not the bane of common people. It affects celebrities too. Recent surveys and reviews have celebrities talking about how once upon a time before they became celebrities, they faced eating disorders in their lives, and how they...
Eating Disorders in Children- A major Concern.
Eating disorders can have dire results for any individual. If a child suffers from eating disorders then it can ruin the entire life of the child. A child must follow proper eating habits and if he is found to have eating disorders then it must be...
Eating Disorders in elderly -
Overview Both Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa can occur in the elderly people. Most of the cases show a similarity in the features of the disorder suffered by the elderly and the young people. These features include clinical features,...
Effects of Eating Disorders- Eating Disorders and its Impending dangers.
Eating Disorders have become a grave phenomenon in modern times. With the lifestyles changing drastically, eating disorders is a matter of serious concern. It can have life-threatening consequences on an individual's life. Eating Disorders: ...
Gymnastics eating disorders:
Eating disorders are found in all sports; sports that emphasize leanness for performance and appearance are at a significantly greater risk. Hence, gymnasts, long-distance runners, divers, and figure skaters are more prone to developing eating...
Laxitives Eating Disorders - Laxitive Lessoning
For a healthy life the basic thing that an individual must do is have a healthy lifestyle. It is imperative that individuals eat healthy, exercise regularly and follow a healthy routine in life. Eating habits are the key that determine the health of...
Oily Skin Treatment:
becoming too irritated or too dried during treatments Benzoyl Peroxide: It is commonly used to treat oily skin and acne. It acts in following ways: 1) It kills bacteria, which are the rot cause for the development of acne. Bacteria causes, the...
Treating oily skin:
Importance of skin: The skin is the major limb of our body and up till now most of us do not do an adequate amount of to keep up our skin's health. One of the functions of our skin is to get rid of a segment of the body's waste products all the...
What Oily Skin Treatments are available?..... For a glowing and ravishing complexion
Over secretion of sebaceous glands are responsible for oily skin. This results in large pores, greasy appearance and pimples. There is no way to cure oily skin; you can take preventive measures to keep the oily skin in control. This skin type is...
|© Eating-Disorders.Tdrbizl.Com 2006|